Fall and football are upon us…. it’s time for chili!!!
JK’s Firehouse Chili
- 2 medium onions
- 2 green peppers
- 3 cans chili ready tomatoes or 3 cans tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 poblano pepper
- Green tabasco sauce
- Worcestershire sauce
- 1 package chili seasoning
- Sriracha hot chili sauce
- Chili powder
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 cans dark red kidney beans
- Kosher salt
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 package round steak (I also typically smoked this prior to using for more smokey flavor)
- Cut onions up.
- Cut green peppers into smaller chunks.
- Cut round steak into bite-size chunks.
- Put onions, green pepper, and steak into large skillet. Add 5 tbs of Worcestershire sauce.
- Add ground beef and 4 cloves chopped garlic.
- Turn on heat to medium.
- Add kosher salt and pepper to the above pan.
- Cook until browned – make sure there is still juice in the pan. If not, the meat is overcooked.
- When meat is done put it all in a crockpot.
- Add cans of chili-ready tomatoes or tomatoes with green chilies.
- Add 2-3 cans of dark red kidney beans.
- Cut poblano pepper into small chunks, add to crockpot.
- Stir together.
- Add green tabasco sauce, 4-5 tablespoons (or more to taste).
- Add 3-4 tablespoons of sriracha hot sauce (or more to taste).
- Add chili powder to taste.
- Add package of chili seasoning mix.
- Stir and add 2 or so more tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce.
- May add cumin or cayenne pepper for more heat.
- Let cook in crockpot for at least 2-4 hours to tenderize the steak.
Note: May also marinade the meat in Worcestershire sauce overnight for more flavor and if a smokier taste is preferred some liquid smoke.
NOTE that this is prior to my vegan days! Here’s a veg recipe that’s not mine (credit: The Southern Vegan cookbook) but rocks!